09 June 2011

My Home Town Charlotte NC

We arrived in the town I was born in 60 some years ago. I have not been back to my home town since I was a teenager. My one purpose here was to go to the main library and check where my grandparents were buried and visit the grave sites. We arrived at this camp ground and after checking in we unhooked the car and proceeded to the electric gate. John was in the car and I was behind him in the RV. The gate opened and he went in and I followed but half way through, the gate closed on the RV and ripped off the hand rail, ripped the arm out from the awning, moved the lock cockeyed and scratched the side of the RV. We had to call our insurance agent (due to a severe storm the day before that ripped up a lot of campers and had trees on top of three RVs)they could not get out to see us, so they sent a mobile repair man. We waited all day. In the mean time John took out all the screens cleaned them and the windows. We didn't waste the day. The RV repair person came at 7PM. He screwed the arm back on so we could travel, and attached the hand rail back on. He fixed the entry lock so we could close the door and lock it. We have to have new awning arms, a new door, and some painting done when we get to a place that can do the repairs. The pictures of our damaged RV is below.

Hand rail missing.

door lock inside and out cockeyed.

awning arm ripped out door bent and scratched

awning arm swinging loose.

WHAT A HOME COMING....

What a stress full day yesterday, we got a good start and went to the Main Library where the people in the Genealogy department were fabulous. They researched and printed out a lot of information I needed. We then proceeded to 3 different Cemeteries in a radius of 100 miles and I visited both sets of Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles . The picture below is my grandfather 's grave. He was hit by a bus when he was 90 and killed .My grandmother died at age 45 during a break out of influenza.



On our trip home we ran into a rain storm with high winds, I thought it was going to blow the car over, then golf ball hail for over 4 mins. I don't think my home town appreciates my visit. Oh well tomorrow is another day..

1 comment:

  1. Carol, maybe you and John should hightail it out of there!!!! Seems like you are are snake bit! haha But that was cool that you were able to find and visit the websites...gives a real sense of "roots"!

    ReplyDelete